Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MFM Consultation

Today at 23 weeks and 6 days, I had my MFM consultation and fetal echo.  I had to have this consultation due to my epileptic disorder and my anti-epileptic drug (AED).  Due to the types of AED's that are out there, fetuses are exposed to potential health risks and birth defects more than a "healthy" expecting mother (i.e. cleft lip, spina bifida, neural tube defects, heart problems, etc).  I wouldn't say that the consult was a waste of my time, even though I was fully aware of all of these risks prior to becoming pregnant, but it was a good refresher and I realized that I have a few questions for both my OB and my neurologist.  Even though I have no intentions on really having a birth plan, myself and my physicians need to have a plan so that my health and my baby girl's is not in jeopardy during labor.  The nurse practitioner that I met with seemed confident that everything will go well since I have not had problems thus far and is relieved that everyone is going to come up with a plan.  The MFM doctor was even kind of shocked that I needed a consult with them since I'm on such a low dose of medication. But after we started talking he felt more comfortable with everything and that I established a relationship with them as a just in case.

My fetal echo went very well and Baby is doing very well.  Her heart is strong, no abnormalities, no arryhythmia, excellent blood flow going in and out, all four chambers present, valves working properly, heart is correctly placed, and so on.  Everything is just perfect with her.  At first I was a little bummed because I was only going to see her heart.  I wasn't going to get a chance to see her again.  But lo and behold, she actually cooperated for the important part and my sonographer finished ahead of schedule before the doctor was ready.  I got to see my little bug again!  This time, sonographer surprised me with some 3D shots of her.  She was a little bugger, let me tell you.  She was sooo good for the diagnostic portion, I knew it would be too good to be true.  She decided to become very squirmy and play games.  Hiding her face, smooching it against my uterine wall, and rolling around.  Without further ado, here is the best profile we could get on her in 3D

No comments:

Post a Comment