Sunday, September 11, 2011

On This Day...

ten years ago, is seared into my memory.  I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.  Ten years ago I was away at college and was 19 years old on 9/11/01.  I remember leaving one of my morning classes and parked myself in a study lounge down the hall from where I needed to go next in Anderson Hall.  This lounge had a TV, couches, snack and soda machine.  I sat down at a table with some classmates, opened a book, and took a look at the TV.  I remember the image of planes going into Towers 1 and 2 of the World Trade Center and seeing a ball of fire appear.  I asked a friend who had been there for awhile, and appeared to be glued to the TV, what movie this was because it seemed so real.  Not a movie.....it was actually happening.  Two planes into both Towers, the Pentagon, and rural Pennsylvania.  Then I remember the images of the Towers come crumbling down to the ground.

Since Friday night, there have been shows dedicated to 9/11.  I caught one on Friday night and relived those memories and imagined the memories of those who were there.  My memories are not as tragic as those who were actually there.  My memories do not include a lost loved one.  My heart goes out to those who relive this date year after year and have been there or lost a loved one.  I can not even begin to understand what those people are feeling right now or going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment